Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Jim's Leaflet


God, I hate even using that word "leaflet." So many politicians have exploited and violated paper that the word leaflet has acquired a negative connotation. That's why I thought that I would just put out a resume with a few notes. Maybe I'll inspire a few people to just make it a qualification contest. It's rough being an idealist; I get stuck between optimism and naivety. On that note I'll segway to my big speal on the importance of members attending conventions. The first thing I have to do is understand the school of thought I'm going up against. I think Donna, Gary, and Donny are good people at heart. I just believe that their union spirit tank is empty. Maybe mine will be as well someday, but today I believe in the whole UNION thing. You can't see the value to be had by co-mingling with other union members at Conventions if you no longer see the ideaology behind Unionism. I feel like I'm running against "he FIRM." Donna and her camp, in my opinion, don't believe in the Santa Clause of unionism. The spirit and synergy that drives the idea. There seems to be a sense of "oh come on, nobody really believes." "give me a break, union shmunion." Just bring me a bill or a grievance, I'll use skills and experience to solve your problem bla bla bla."

So what is a result and what is the cause. This is the old chicken or the egg question. Are 717 members apathetic because they've been disappointed, or were they always apathetic and therefore our leaders became apathetic. I'm not sure of the answer but I know that unionism doesn't work like it was designed without believing. I may go down as a sappy idealist, but at least I can say I tried. Without the spirit and synergy we're just agents and politicians. Union Shmunion.

So, the whole convention thing? It's all about the whole being greater than the sum of it's parts. Have you ever felt the spirit and energy in a sports stadium. Well the union component is the 12th man. It's just not the same sitting in your living room in front of the TV. Right now 717 is an just an agency sitting in the living room. We need that 12th man, and sending our members to Conventions is sending us to the stadium. I'm just trying to start the healing and appeal to our members to give Unionism another chance.

Maybe, I would be more inclined to pass on my delegate seat if I felt that certain other delegates really believed. It doesn't work if you don't believe. Yes, my leaflet was long. I have a lot on my mind and a lot to say.

Comparing qualifications for Vice President or acting president, I am not aware that Donna has anything to bring to the table except benefit knowledge. I've never known her to be on any committee or conduct any kind of a meeting. She's never demonstrated an active interest in government. She works her butt off at the Hall, but nobody really knows her. So, she's going to have to decide if she wants to stay in her lane and try to run faster and jump higher, or if she wan'ts to wait until th e last minute and throw a little oilslick in my lane. I expect the latter. Her camp will do the dirty work and I'll look for the kitchen sink to come flying a few days before we vote. There's a score to settle, and unfortunately for 717 they're going to use the democratic process to settle it. Don't worry though, they might tear me apart but they would never do that to you.... Unless you run against them. You're their "brothers and sisters." (every 30 day period before elections)

And they wonder why nobody comes to the meetings and to the rallys.

PS It doesn't work if you don't belive.

3 Comments:

Blogger JimMartinJr said...

It gives me no pleasure to be the wrecking ball for the purpose of rebuilding our union. As a matter of fact I'm troubled that my recognition of the union's disfunction is shedding such a bad light on people that I've worked with over the years. My platform for my campaign and my rebuilding campaign is dependant on my ability to connect with our members so that they know that someone is aware of their disappointment. It's the only way that this union can start the healing and rebuilding.

Yeah, there could be better timing with whats's going down now, but we're at a critical end/begining point. It has to be now. I don't know that I can be apart of something that isn't working. My letter was critical because I need to empathize with the people that make this union a union. I feel sorry that some people feel attacked, but I don't regret what I'm doing.

9:43 PM  
Blogger JimMartinJr said...

Point of Clarification
Jim Martin Jr’s Resume

I understand that some officials are reacting defensively to my resume. It’s one thing to get a brow beating from a person that you meant to criticize but it’s really troubling to get the riot act from someone you admire. I made mention of pension calls going unanswered for weeks using a comparison chart to validate my complaints. Without demonstrating the contrast I’m just another politician pulling things out of the air to earn cheap votes. My platform is this: I’m as disappointed as you are. I heard the frantic messages every day. However, I mistakenly left room for misunderstanding by venting my complaints without assigning blame. Frank should have been given help, and with the right amount of foresight enough benefit reps could have been trained in time to help. Frank Murray was one person representing 2000 potential retirees. I regret that I didn’t spell out WHY seven pages of union calls went unanswered “for weeks.” I offered several times this year to come in on my own time for training. I believe that only “select” reps got pension training and I was denied training because the Hall thought I was running for president. Knowledge is power.

Why would I criticize Frank Murray. He was the one that gave me the back-alley training. He was the guy that let me call him at home for answers to pension questions. My disappointment has been building up, and I realize now that portions of my long yellow leaflet were maybe a bit misplaced. I just can’t keep it in folks. If I know something can be done better and faster, I cannot bite my tongue. I will not be squelched anymore. The entire division was told that benefit reps would be beefed up to help with buyout and retirement calls, and that offices would be made available. NEVER HAPPENED ON PM TURN. But many of you didn’t know that, just like you may have not known that Frank Murray didn’t have the help that he needed.

Am I “self directed?” It appears so; I’m certainly not being directed. I directed myself to change the outgoing benefit recorder message to inform those calling in that we were getting 100 calls a day. I directed myself to create a website to help people and pickup the slack. My criticism was expressed professionally and it was only about union representation or the lack there of. I’m not concerned about campaign “support” at the cost of improvement. Political bartering is why we’re dysfunctional to begin with. I’m either going to improve this union from office or from the floor. One thing is for sure. I WILL NEVER LET WHAT HAPPENED IN THOSE 45 DAYS …HAPPEN AGAIN.
Frank Murray is one of few that will speak his mind and vote his mind, and I think he’ll make a great Executive Board Member. I’m very sorry that my words were not as specific as they could have been.

9:50 PM  
Blogger JimMartinJr said...

I'm not going to spend $150 on leaflets everytime someone says I bet the deed to the Hall on Black 23. I'll address the propaganda at http://717election.blogspot.com/

PS The time stamping is 4 hours off. It's 12:56am.

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Google News